Friday, February 18, 2011

A Page in the Chapter

For those of you who don't know, my brother, Andy, is forgoing his last semester as a senior in high school. Instead, he accepted a job offer to be a page at the Iowa House of Representatives for a semester. That means he gets paid to sit in the House during debates and formalities. He spends most of his time answering phones and running errands around the Capitol Building for the reps. A pretty interesting job, I must say.

He seems to be liking it so far, and has been keeping a daily blog of his experience called A Page in the Chapter. Check it out if you're interested.

Andy also has a sense of humor that, well... let's just say it runs in the family. He likes puns. Here's one of his recent posts on his blog-- it made my day:


"I'd like to share a few observations which have come from attending committee meetings and the like:
1) Agriculture - This committee is a homely bunch because they are so deeply rooted in Iowa.
2) Economic Growth - These are always very stimulating meetings.
3) Environmental Protection - For some reason, topics in these meetings are always complicated.  Almost the whole time is spent clearing the air of confusion.
4) Transportation - To me, it is obvious that the Iowa DOT is in a rut.
5) Veterans' Affairs - People are always trying to sit in on these meetings.  To ensure that no unauthorized persons enter, I am always on Guard.
6) Judiciary - I have never sat in on a judiciary committee because another page has requested all of its meetings.  It's just not fair.
7) Labor - I dread attending these meetings - I always end up doing hard work.
8) Commerce - It's business as usual.
9) Ways & Means - As far as I can tell, this is the committee that finds ways of being mean by taxing Iowans.
10) Education - I haven't really learned anything from this committee.
11) Public Safety - I've only been scheduled to this committee once. Unfortunately, on my way to it, I slipped on a dangerously wet floor."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment