Friday, May 20, 2011

My Hometown is Famous

When I was in 5th grade (I think), former Kansas University basketball player Nick Collison was a senior at Iowa Falls high school. And he was good. Really good. Naturally, so was the Iowa Falls basketball team.

My home school, Clarion-Goldfield, had the misfortune of having Iowa Falls in their conference. And we weren't very good. Not very good at all.

Nick is now playing for the championship contending NBA team, the Oklahoma City Thunder. It's good to know he still remembers Clarion-Goldfield. We're the school he talks about in the following interview on the Thunder's website: (Thanks, Levi Larue, for the link.)

We caught up with Collison for today’s installment of “Getting To Know…”

So you got your shorts pulled down one time during a game, right?
“We were playing a team, they weren’t very good, and we ended up winning 116 to 30-something. We set a school record. I went to turn and shoot and a kid pulled my shorts down.”

Do you think he was mad?
“Nah, I think it was a joke. It was weird. It was like his coach was in on it. And then when we had 98 points, they scored the 100th point in our basket – so they inbounded the ball and scored in our basket. It was just like a joke, man.”

How did you react to getting pantsed?
“I was upset about it. I was just shocked. Luckily I had shorts on underneath. I had like a smaller pair of basketball shorts underneath. I just pulled them up and they threw the kid out and maybe threw the coach out. Yeah, I was just shocked. I felt like it was more embarrassing for them but, whatever. It’s a story not too many people have. My senior year of high school.”


Not a bright spot in our school's history. Regardless of whether our basketball skills improved much, we sure got a lot more classy in the years to come!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment