Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Really? (Part 2)

If you haven't read my previous post about my friend, Frank, or if you need a refresher, click here.

This post is an update on my experience with Frank that happened two Sundays ago, September 27:

I stopped by Frank's place (just below our apartment) on Sunday morning around 10:00 to ask see if he was going to come to church with me. When I knocked on the door I heard a raspy, "Come in!" from inside. I entered to a living room filled with cigarette smoke. The only person there was the old guy who thought I was a cop the week before who was now sitting in a recliner watching TV. I asked him where Frank was and he said, "He's not here... you wanna call him?"

So, I got Frank's number and gave him a call. "Hey, Frank," I said, "I'm at your place wondering if you want to come to church with me this morning?"

Frank replied, "Yo, I don't live there, man. I just hang out there all the time. And, yeah, I was just thinkin' about how I was gonna go to church with you but I'm watchin' my kid this week so I can't come."

I told him that is understandable and that I hoped we could do it soon. I hung up the phone and introduced myself to the old guy in the recliner. He told me his name was Jerry and that he, in fact, was the one who lived there. He appeared to be in pretty tough shape. He said he'd fallen earlier that week and the entire right side of his face was bruised and swollen. I also noticed his swollen hands and feet which he told me was gout. As if that wasn't enough, he was having a lot of trouble breathing. He was wheezing terribly the whole time I was there. I asked if he'd like me to take him to the hospital, but he told me repeatedly that he was ok.

I asked him if he had a church home in Ames and he said that he went to a Methodist church on Main Street. I asked what he believed about God and he told me, "I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe that He died on the cross for my sins."

I was so excited by this!!! I asked Jerry if I could pray for him and he said he'd appreciate that. God blessed me with an amazing opportunity to pray for his health and his heart towards God.

Then, last Wednesday, Sam saw Jerry by our mailbox. He asked if he could talk to me so Sam got me for him. When I came outside he said to me, "When I'm feeling better and can get around a little easier, would you guys mind if I came to church with you?"

Wow.  I told him I would love it if he came with us. Hopefully Grand will work well for him because it's close and I think it's really hard for him to go very far from the house. Please pray for Frank that he would end up coming with us to church soon and that his heart would be softened to the Truth, and for Jerry that his health would improve and that God would be revealed in his life in astounding ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment