Friday, October 16, 2009

Really? (REMIX)

Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I haven't had much time to post, nor has anything occurred that has really been post-worthy.

That is, until last night. My previous post "Really?" (click here) and "Really? (Part 2)" (click here) are about how God has been using us to proclaim His Name to those living around us in our apartment complex. Well, we are full of praise because God used us again last night.

It actually started last week when we got a knock on our door around 8:00 pm. It was a college-age guy named Kevin who was hanging out with his girlfriend at Jerry's place (the floor below us). It was actually pretty funny. The guy at the door looked at me and said, "Hey. You're a male, and she's a female. Maybe you get this. I know it's weird, but I don't get paid 'til Friday and my girlfriend needs some... uh... tampons."

I laughed and said we'd be glad to help. He appreciated that and we didn't really think much more about it. Last night at 11:45 we heard a knock on the door again. It was the same guy as last week. He started, "Hey, man. I know it's late and I know you don't really know me, but I gotta get outta here. Man, I'm tryin' to leave Ames, cuz this ain't where I need to be right now, you know? I'm tryin' to get a bus ticket to go to my dad's in Chicago, and I put all my money together. I got $182, but I need $193. I just need your help, if you can."

Admittedly, I was hesitant at first. I asked Sam if she had any cash and we were only able to put $10 together for him. Then came the kicker, "Dude, you don't even know me and you guys are happy to give stuff to me. Thank you. What is so different about you guys?"

Praise God for this response! I invited him in and Sam and I had the opportunity to share with Kevin just what is so different about us. We shared that we have found true joy and satisfaction in the grace offered by God through Jesus Christ. I told him that I, just like him, am a failure. I am no better than him, but the difference is that my failures were washed away by the cleansing blood of the Perfect Lamb. Kevin explained to me that he'd been in and out of prison over the last year and that he was, in fact, drunk while we were talking.

It was probably the alcohol that opened him up so much, but he shared with me the futility of his lifestyle and that he has tried to live for God, but has failed every time. We talked for about half an hour about what it looks like to be surrendered to the Lord. He said he'd actually spent some time going to GABC before. "You know the Lovins?" he asked, "They my people, man!" I was encouraged to be able to see a small glimpse of how God is continually drawing Kevin back to him, with common themes. What are the "chances" that he would ask for help from the GABC youth pastor's apartment after having been invested in by that church (specifically the Lovin family) in the past? Our God is an awesome God! He is is drawing Kevin to himself continually. He has a presence in His life.

Before he left, Kevin got my number and email address and he said he would come say goodbye before he left for the bus station today. I hope he does. I'm praying that Kevin will not only remember the conversation we had last night, but that it will remain at the forefront of his mind eating at him until he finally surrenders to the One who created him. I hope that God continues to use His children to speak Truth into Kevin's life and open his heart to a relationship with the Savior.

How often am I so concerned over something I think I own (like $10) that I am not willing to give that to God to be used for His glory? Everything I "own" is yours, Lord. Don't let me hold so tightly to the treasures of this world that I'm blind to the immeasurably greater treasures You give in Your Kingdom. Finally, let Apartment #8 continue to be set as a "city on a hill" that stands out as a shining Light for Your glory!

2 comments:

  1. WOW, Tim~~that is certainly post-worthy! Praise God that He used you and Sam because of your open hearts to water the seed that is trying to break thru the rocky soil in Kevin's life!! Maybe Kevin won't be going to Chicago after all...or he might come back in the future. His story to be continued....maybe God will let us see the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great story Tim! Thanks so much for sharing it. It really convicts me that nothing I have is truly mine. It has all been entrusted to me by God to use for His glory. I pray that I will be willing to part with any and all of it as the Lord calls. I have no idea how to put my name on this so I will just put it here! Stacy

    ReplyDelete