Sunday, September 5, 2010

Spending Spree

Sorry it's been awhile since a real posting. Unfortunately, things haven't developed very much with our neighbors. Esther doesn't come by any more. We think her mom found out she was coming over and put a stop to it. Frank and Kevin are both around from time to time, but we haven't had a chance for any conversations.

So, instead of posting about our neighbors or a cool video, I'm going to post about my wonderful wife!

Yesterday, Sam and I took our first free Saturday in more than a month to go shopping in Des Moines. I needed a new pair of boots for work. I did a little shopping around, and ended up buying from Red Wing Boots. And I definitely recommend them.

I got some all leather, water-proof, GoreTex-lined, composite-toe boots (as opposed to steel-toe, which are heavier and get cold in the winter). It was one of those purchases that it seemed wisest to spend more money now and get a more quality product that will last several years. This is an exciting step up for me from the $6 work boots I got at Salvation Army and have been using for the past 6 months. They served me well, but it was time for them to go.

BEFORE RED WING:
 

AFTER RED WING:

In case you're in the market for some good work boots, Red Wing Boots rocks. Along with extending the 20% off State Fair discount for me, they provide free monthly boot cleaning, free laces for the life of the boots, and a good warranty.

After boot shopping, Sam took me on a surprise birthday excursion (a couple of weeks early) to Half-Price Books. I'd never been before, but her little plan was brilliant. Any time we go into a bookstore, we have to agree with a handshake that we won't spend anything. Bookstores are a budget-busting weakness for both of us!

Sam informed me that this time was different. Half-Price Books buys used books in good condition and sells them at super low prices. Most paperbacks range from $2-7 and hardcovers go for $5-10. And, once again, God blessed us with a 20% off sale! Best of all, Sam said for today only I was to be un-restrained by our budget. What an awesomely clever birthday gift! I love my wife.

Here's what I got for $45 total:
  •  The Passion of Jesus Christ by John Piper (5)
    (I'll use this for a Bible study with the GABC high school guys)
  • Epic by John Eldridge (2)
  • What is Reformed Theology? by R.C. Sproul
  • Where Your Treasure Is: What the Bible Says About Money a Bible study by James and Martha Reapsome
    (Sam and I need some help on this topic after our spending spree!)
  • Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper
  • The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
  • To Live is Christ: Embracing the Passion of Paul by Beth Moore (this one's for Sam)
  • And 3 movies for $3 each: "Gladiator," "The Recruit," and "Breach"
To end the night, Sam took me out to Texas Roadhouse. If you've never been there, you must go. I had an incredible sirloin and amazing cheesy mashed potatoes. But the best part? All you can eat shelled peanuts and soft, delicious dinner rolls for FREE!

1 comment: