Friday, December 18, 2009

Gradu... wha?!

So, I'm graduating tomorrow. From college. College. No grad school for me. I'm done. With school. Maybe forever. I am not attending classes anymore. I am no longer taking tests or writing papers. I may never do an MLA or APA-formatted works cited page ever again (and I'm oh-so grateful!). I'm done.

And that's weird. I've been in school for the last 19 years of my life. I don't completely know what living in the "real world" is like just yet. But the weirdest thing about graduating, I think, is that I don't feel like a big deal or anything. Maybe I should? Maybe I would if I got my doctorate? I don't know.

But it is a big deal, isn't it? I mean, I have been blessed with the opportunity to obtain a high-quality education in one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Statistics say that by simply holding this bachelor's degree I'm likely to double my life's earnings. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for providing this opportunity for me to be financially successful.

So much more important than gained knowledge and increased earning potential, however, was the spiritual growth that took place in me over the last seven semesters at Iowa State. Can you see how God has lavished his blessing upon me?! He has drawn me to Himself in such a masterful and beautiful way here in Ames, and all while I have been learning about His Creation (even in those Bio classes that teach godless evolution as fact, there is SO MUCH to be learned about our Creator!) and doubling my financial potential as a student. His blessing is extravagant and unearned. In fact, how much less do I deserve this blessing than His children who are hungry for their daily bread in Africa or for His sons and daughters in the Middle East who are running from their families to save their own lives?

I have never known such hardship or persecution, yet He has chosen to reveal Himself to me here, in the richest of places. Those of you who are reading this who still have some time in college left: eagerly search for God in everything you do. Even with classes that seem pointless and professors that make your blood boil, look for how God is bringing Himself glory through that class. And those of you who have completed college: understand what a gift you've been given (even if you're still paying off student loans!) to be able to live lavishly in an abundant land.

Finally, those of you who have not yet gone to college: don't make the mistake I did as a freshman. Don't look at college as an education that allows you to selfishly pursue money, status, or obsessions. Check your heart. On the other hand, realize the magnitude of the opportunity that is before you. Don't let apathy, laziness, or complacency rule your heart, but in everything you do, do it with all your might for the glory of our King.

College is where you solidify who you are and where you're trained to lived out your faith (or trained not to) for the rest of your life. Allow God to reign in your heart, not selfish ambition. Thankfully, God pursued me and dragged me through my selfishness (though it's still my tendency) and into His arms. He has used the Salt Company, Cornerstone, and now Grand Avenue to provide teaching and fellowship to spur my growth. He even chose this time of my life to provide me with a wonderful wife. ("He who finds a wife finds what is good, and receives favor from the Lord" -- Proverbs 18:22.)

The ways in which God has blessed me and revealed Himself to me during these years is indescribably more valuable than any course I could have taken or any degree I could have received.

And I couldn't be more excited to never do MLA citations again.

2 comments:

  1. "College is where you solidify who you are and where you're trained to lived out your faith (or trained not to) for the rest of your life. Allow God to reign in your heart, not selfish ambition."

    That's so true, yet rarely realized.

    I am so thankful that I know you and your wife. You both have made a great impact on me. Congratulations on graduating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your hard-earned ISU degree! I enjoyed reading your blog thoughts on your education.

    Learning opportunities abound in the 'real world' also and God doesn't want us to waste those life lessons. He gives tests and if we don't do well, He has us review, re-learn and re-take the test so the lesson can become real in our daily life. As a church body we are to help one another in our studies.

    I remember hearing that when a believer dies, he/she 'graduates' to Heaven with honors. How neat to know that is in our future too!

    ReplyDelete